Budget Camper Tent Trailers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Anyone have any suggestions for a qaulity tent trailer?

Seems in some cases its cheapier to buy new.

Thanks

A quality tent trailer like the Aussie Swag will set you back between $50,000 and $60,000 depending on the options.
http://www.aussieswag.com.au/

A reasonable soft floor Aust made camper with dyna proof wax converters canvas will set you back between $20,000 and $30,000 depending
on options. - http://trackabout.com.au/

or you can go the imported flat packs assembled here with chinese ripstop foe betwwen $5.000 and up.
http://www.marketdirectcampertrailers.com.au/

Rule of thumb is you get what you pay for.
Do not believe the "off road" tag applied to imported trailers.

a good place to do some homework is http://www.campertrailers.org/camper_trader.htm
and http://www.myswag.org/index.php

Try gic campers, prices start from $4.500 grand and has an Australian made trailer, the tent (I think) is made in China to gic specs. If I was to buy one, I'd buy the basic model and build it to what I needed. When buying any new camper trailer give it a good going over checking welds, general construction, tyres (cracks or out of date), tent quality (stitching, zippers), make sure all the poles and pegs are there and everything that's claimed to be fitted is fitted also check the electrical things if fitted.
:) Mick

When members at "Myswag" camper trailer forum, documented their experiences with the quality and longevity of CIG campers, the company took legal action
against the administrators.
Hence all discussion has been banned on that and other forums, that in anyway damages the brand.
Do you homework and look over every inch, not the showroom model, but at the pick up.

Let's be clear that it isn't necessarily structural quality that separates the 5 grand camper trailers from the 50 grand trailers. It's luxury and beauty! Yes you can buy a crappy cheap camper trailer but if you do your research there's no reason you can't buy a virtually indestructible trailer at that price.
You do get what you pay for but make sure you know what you're paying for.
The cavalier camper range is another quality trailer worth looking at if you're pockets aren't weighed down with cash. Paid $4500 for mine used. The model I have is very basic. The tent is heavy duty. Has been around oz at least twice and no trouble at all. Mostly off road work towing behind a troopy and she's been tortured in the outback. Still going strong in the 10 years I've owned it.
http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/used/cavalier/camping-trailers/

Well iv sent myself mad looking at camper trailers and small caravans over the last few months but have decided to rough it with a tent and put the money into a new car (well new to me)
But I did notice on eBay one can have a hard floor camper trailer for around $6000.

Redfin said:
When members at "Myswag" camper trailer forum, documented their experiences with the quality and longevity of CIG campers, the company took legal action
against the administrators.
Hence all discussion has been banned on that and other forums, that in anyway damages the brand.
Do you homework and look over every inch, not the showroom model, but at the pick up.

Thanks for pointing that out Redfin. I should have looked into that myself. That's why with any camper trailer it should be checked before you hook it up to your vehicle.

As a boilermaker, MDC are the best quality I've seen in the budget range. The trailers beat many that are multiples of the MDC price.

be carefull a lot of aussie camper trailers are fitted with chinease covers and mounting kits.. I have repaired dozens of them... they look like they are made of ripstop canvas that they say is 16 oz canvas. it is only really 6 oz fake lookalike ripstop that is mostly cotton.. the frames are very thin and fail very quickly. the eyelets are only thin plate and pull out... the widow meshes and door meshes are made of crap and dissintergrate.. all the zippers are a weird ass size and we do not have spares in aus to fix them when they quickly die... I did just on $1000 worth of repairs to one of them.. That tent was only used once...... the poor guy traded it for a van. The chinease tents are very cheap and nasty but look great to the novice with all the windows/doors/zips ect... google up "trailer tent" and you will find them.. :)

Bought a camper trailer three years ago and it has been over the roughest country, still going strong
Originally made in Vic, I'm in WA, bought off a guy for $6,000 and looked like new, he paid $11,000 brand new, his wife wanted a caravan, which is fair enough.
The secrete I think, is grease nipples on the spring mounts and bearing buddies on the wheel bearings

Goldstrijk

So true strijk, That's why I said to buy a cheap camper trailer as long as it's got a good quality tent. The trailer can be modified to suit the owners requirements for example bearings, springs, wiring, reweld or strengthen some areas, upgrade the hitch ect.

I have a camper trailer that I have had on gumtree and can't get an ounce of interest...I bought it second hand in Melbourne and bought it back to NSW...I originally paid $6000 for it,2 days off work and a motel for one night...Went to get it rego'd in NSW and had to put brakes on it,roughly $1000..Used it for 12 months and my wife decided she didn't like all the stained canvas so I bought a new top off ebay,$1900 delivered...Put it on and it was a heap of garbage but because I had installed it they wouldn't take it back and I couldn't claim through ebay because it took me a while to do the change over...Sold that to a mate for $500 and he is happy with it...I finished up getting a top made locally by the fella that was doing the Ultimate camper tops at the time for a total cost of $4500...The trailer is well used,extremely heavy duty but as stated well used...I have had it on gumtree for sale for $4500(the cost of the tent top) and not one enquiry so now I am going to keep it and give the trailer a major revamp...So as it stands it owes me $11000 and I can't get $4500 for it...I think the trouble is that people can buy a cheap imported one for the same price not realising the quality is compromised..
Moral of the story is do your home work and make sure your happy with what you buy as they can be a bit like boats and be an endless money pit...

Cheers...Sparra

Hi Wolfau,
I got one last year and all it does is sit in the shed being a bloody nuisance I have never used it, I think it was made around 2004, it's built for off road and is made by an engineering firm in Brissie and is as tough as they come, I want to part with it if you or anyone else are interested. I have just reregistered it and I am pretty certain the lady who owned it has never had it off road.
Cheers
Goldslave

Hi Wolfau,

We recently went with a Cub Brumby ($27000) and just returned from the maiden voyage. I thought I had covered all bases in my search for a good camper but even after only one trip we have already a list of needs and wants to suit it to our application. Do your research and have a good look around. Cheaper campers generally use cheaper components so hence the quality reflects that.

Cheers

Dave

Hi guys thanks for the replies.

I think a trailer tent is best way to go due to the space
You have under the tent. Things you need such as
Sleeping bag, esky, shower and other stuff can be
Stored here.

Best still if your in a caravan park you lock the top
Of your trailer if you need to go somewhere.

I have also discovered aussie made trailer and aussie
Made tent sell from around $10,000.

Basically an Aussie made trailer tent sewn in Australia
Sell for around $5k.

More info about Aussie made campers are listed
Below.

http://www.australianmanufacturedcampertrailers.org.au

Just noticed the link above was also suggested by another
Member.

Some of the trailers i have seen online i could not make
Sense why the sink and bbq was on the tailgate which
You need to be outside to use.

Thanks Again.

Hey Wolf, have you actually used one? I would hire one first hey. I was hell bent on getting one and recently borrowed my fathers $23k All Terrain Camper for the trip out to Tibooburra. Did 2 nights in Bourke, 900km of rough outback corro dirt/sand roads 3 nights in Tib, 1 night in Bourke - by the last night in Lightning Ridge I was so over the camper that I paid for a night in a cabin at the park... Set-up and take down times aren't all they are made out to be. Don't get me wrong, if we had driven to one spot and spent a week there before going home I would probably own one now, but for multiple locations it was a PITA. The surrounding campers nearly all had wind up campers - Jayco Swan style. All seemed much easier to set up and take down... just a thought anyway..

you are correct about most trailer tents today being an absolute pig of a job to put up and down because they went way too big and complicated getting away from the small and up and down in a minute original old type units.. flop its up flop its down...spending an hour and a half up and down is no fun.. overly heavy 12 oz canvas will make it even worse... the 8 oz canvas of today is stronger , shrinks less , is more water proof than the 14 oz canvas of 1970 and is the one I use.. another thing to be carefull of is the window and other meshes... a lot of the guys are using shade cloth or even chair mesh in the windows and tell you that they have created a strong window. the facts are that it bulks everthing up way too much and will cut down the airflow by more than 85%.. proper meshes only cut the flow by about 11% and are much lighter... :)
Ben78 said:
Hey Wolf, have you actually used one? I would hire one first hey. I was hell bent on getting one and recently borrowed my fathers $23k All Terrain Camper for the trip out to Tibooburra. Did 2 nights in Bourke, 900km of rough outback corro dirt/sand roads 3 nights in Tib, 1 night in Bourke - by the last night in Lightning Ridge I was so over the camper that I paid for a night in a cabin at the park... Set-up and take down times aren't all they are made out to be. Don't get me wrong, if we had driven to one spot and spent a week there before going home I would probably own one now, but for multiple locations it was a PITA. The surrounding campers nearly all had wind up campers - Jayco Swan style. All seemed much easier to set up and take down... just a thought anyway..

Ben78 said:

No I have not used one but I love the ability it provides to organise everything you need for that trip away
all in one trailer with gear locked in place under the tent. This would be the perfect setup for staying at a caravan park security wise.

This is my main issue since I drive a ute is security unless I install a hard lid.

Not sure how much i could really be bothered though in towing it. This is the only draw back I guess and if you need to get to spot off the main
track and there is a small hill to drive up might be better just to tent it.

If I went this way though I would not be spending a small fortune on one because when reselling it will be hard to get your money back.

So a good used 2nd hand trailer is the best purchase since many of these were made in Australia by tradesman and since my brother is
a welder by trade he can add and modify a few things. I have seen quality 2nd hand trailers sell for around $300 just need a good going over.

I have also sent a trailer tent selling for under $1400. I might email them and ask for a sample of the canvas.

Time will tell I think.

If I went down the tent road the tent I would love to buy is the Black Wolf Turbo. Not sure if I left it alone all pitched up at a caravan park
while I went out for a few hours someone would steal it.

Latest posts