DRONE ZONE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ramjet said:
He did the wrong thing for sure. Broke many of the rules. Too close to people and buildings plus he flew over populous areas.

He flew over a freeway. Flying over a road is a big no no. Flying over a freeway could land you in jail and rightly so imho. If a Drone has issues over a freeway then the shizbit can get very real very quick. Cars doing 100kmh and a drone drops into the traffic, hits a windscreen then what? 8)

BarossaDigger said:
I to am a Drone operator as well. Autel Xstar Premium imported from the States am extremely happy with it pretty much the same as a Phantom 4 without obstacle avoidance but that doesn't work very well going by a few Facebook posts! Taking it upto Mt Crawford tomorrow might see some new ground for prospecting or hang a detector from it lol.

Hey BD

Like to see some video of Mt Crawford area, used to cut pine in the plantations up there and going back for a visit later in the year, and if I can sneak a pan and shovel under the baggage! guess what I'll be doing??

Cheers
Bazz

I have had my Mavic since Christmas Day but the weather here has been less than average for a long time, lots of rain and high winds doesn't make for great drone flying. :(

I have done a few panoramic images using above my own house but it has been straight up and straight down no actual flying around. Here is a pano of Alice Springs looking south towards the Macdonnell Ranges.

1485405678_alice_range_pano__low_res.jpg

So after searching high and low for an in stock mavic to no avail I decided to sell my phantom 4 and picked up a new Phantom 4 pro today Immediately I can tell the camera is a major upgrade and to hear that mechanical shutter when taking a still photo will prove it's worth when taking still images on the move.

Anyone else have the Phantom 4 pro that they recommend is a must setting?

I did my first few true outside flights with the Mavic, mainly playing with the various controls and did a bit of videoing on a rural property. I felt reasonably confident so then did a couple of flights at a yacht club event, but guess what, forgot to push the record button. Oh well more practice needed, with more of the buttons and controls, as there are so many of them.

Other learning's apart from remembering to push the camera button(s) include -
- It is a dream to use, so easy for a novice.
- Gimbal cover on still gives reasonable video, in no-glare situations. Off the video is excellent, almost looks 3D at times.
- Don't leave cover on if it is sunny as sun glare will be bad.
- Glare on the phone screen is also a pain in the butt, so try and stand in the shade, else have to watch the drone.
- It is surprising how quickly the time gets away from you as you fly this amazing drone. Get an extra battery or 2 (I have 3).
- The drone is very quiet and doesn't seem to cause concerns to stock and wildlife
- If wanting to pan (for a video/camera shot), do it using the console screen, not while watching the drone
- The vertical and horizontal speed is very impressive.
- I plan to try a larger or more micro-SD card(s), as the space gets used very quickly. A couple of flights and it is close to full.

I haven't got the return to home function to work yet, but think it may be that I am not validating a new GPS home location.

Rob P.

Might i address a few things PabloP? (From an RC enthusiast)...this also for other newbs to RC aerial platforms... (WARNING!: Lengthy response/Advice Follows)

Please be advised i am only offering advice in a bid for continued safety & fun, not berating or judging you personally.. :8

You wrote;..."I felt reasonably confident so then did a couple of flights at a yacht club event, but guess what, forgot to push the record button."

A. That you are still unfamiliar with particular operations, reveals you should not be flying around events/places or over people/vehicles (i am led to believe this also covers watercraft) etc....remember, your 'slip' of just one function based on 'unfamiliarity' can result in injury to persons or property, of which you are liable for. Please check out the CASA site or www.maaa.asn.au/ for the latest Aerial Regulations relating to 'model Aircraft' for your own protection in what/where/ & how you go about using your new model.

You have even said as much per;.."Oh well more practice needed...". It might be an idea to get that down first, away from folks and events, before rushing to capture "that" great pic... :8

Followed by;.."Glare on the phone screen is also a pain in the butt, so try and stand in the shade, else have to watch the drone".

A. ALL....responsible 'pilots' are aware at ALL times what attitude their aircraft is...and the 'hobby' Association Guidelines recommend pilots to have "eyes ON" their craft at all times. This is interpreted as the craft being within viewing distance with un-aided eyesight (corrective lens accepted).

Alternatively, you can set up FPV, and always have a "spotter" with you for peripheral vision around you aircraft for safety reasons. Also gives you the 'in the cockpit' feel. :cool:

Then,...."It is surprising how quickly the time gets away from you as you fly this amazing drone. Get an extra battery or 2 (I have 3)."

A. There are Tx's that allow you to set "Timers" which, with a little 'testing' you can find the right 'flight' time (allowing for 'return/land') and set an ALARM. Even without an alarm, you can put some time in to working out each battery & flight condition parameters to get the best performance. Correct use & CARE will extend the battery life, and 'less' the need for many batteries on hand imo. Remember, low/med forward flight will use less energy than hovering/taking stills. ;)

For this;..."The drone is very quiet and doesn't seem to cause concerns to stock and wildlife"..

A. I will trust that you kept at least a 30Mt buffer and weren't flying "over" the animals??? ;)

Not being the 'fun police', rather the "continued fun - Police" :D ...i wish to help you avoid doing the things that can/will put an end to your "fun"...

Worried about this;..."- If wanting to pan (for a video/camera shot), do it using the console screen, not while watching the drone."...

A. Again, i will 'trust' you also had a spotter with you...if you think i am being stringent, maybe time on y-tube watching what, and how quick, things 'can' go horribly wrong....PLEASE...make sure your 1st RTH test is done as safe as you can, and be sure your FAILSAFE kill-switch is working. Fly-aways can do un-foretold damage...you might get lucky, you might not.

With This;.."The vertical and horizontal speed is very impressive."

Q. Can you tell how high you flew it? For those unaware, all "model RC aircraft" have a 400' CEILING. Community FYI. ;)

I understand this is all a new, fun, exciting, and creative hobby, and as a participant myself with both Multi's & Heli's, i just wish to continue to be able to enjoy it, and am adverse to seeing folks doing the very things that may get it taken away from me.....like prospectors leaving open holes all over the place....both for the same reasons eh?.

Should you have been following the guidelines, then please accept my apology for being 'presumptuous' , and consider the above as a Community Announcement. :lol: ;)

I do wish you all the best, and look forward to seeing your progress... 8) ;) :cool:

Hope i didn't offend anyone with my bluntness... :8

Gypsy

Rob.

I'm not sure what your level of experience with RC aircraft but this would my advice.

I've been flying radio control aircraft for years. Well before gps was introduced into these machines.

One bit of advice I can give you is to practice manoeuvring the quad. Basic exercises involve just doing loops in both directions and then perfecting your figure 8s. Then do it going backwards.

Practice this in full GPS mode just to help you hold your altitude and in the case you get disoriented you can just let go of the controls till you get yourself sorted again.

Then flick it over to atti mode and have a go in keeping your quad in a straight line and again practising some loops.

You'll gain a world of confidence and if for some reason you end up with compass or gps failure you will have a good chance at getting the quad down safely without losing it or destroying it by smacking into something.

GypsyGoldAu said:
A. There are Tx's that allow you to set "Timers" which, with a little 'testing' you can find the right 'flight' time (allowing for 'return/land') and set an ALARM. Even without an alarm, you can put some time in to working out each battery & flight condition parameters to get the best performance. Correct use & CARE will extend the battery life, and 'less' the need for many batteries on hand imo. Remember, low/med forward flight will use less energy than hovering/taking stills. ;)

Gone are the days of timers mate. These things are pretty sophisticated these days. No need to worry about if someone is using the same frequency or hanging a ribbon.

Even the batteries are considered 'smart batteries' with their own firmware and constantly being updated.

They have real time info on battery life and percentage aswell as flight time. Even to the point where if you ignore it that it will return to where you took off and land without you doing a thing.

Even the Mavic that Rob has consists of twin IMUs and twin compasses giving it some sort of redundancy if one system fails. In saying that though they do fail and that's why I try and tell people to practice flying it in manual mode.

In regards to altitude. They are set to 120m by default and if you try and change it you will get a warning that you may be in breach.

They are pretty sophisticated and to be honest you don't even need a controller these days. You can get it to do its thing with just a tablet. From taking off to landing to everything in between.

In saying all that though I agree that you gotta stay within the laws and keep this hobby alive for all of us.

Boulders said:
GypsyGoldAu said:

Gone are the days of timers mate. These things are pretty sophisticated these days. No need to worry about if someone is using the same frequency or hanging a ribbon. He He..i only came into the hobby myself about 5.5 yrs ago and only use 2.4 & 5.8 ;)

Even the batteries are considered 'smart batteries' with their own firmware and constantly being updated.

Haven't known anything but, in the hobby..own a PL8 myself. :cool:

They have real time info on battery life and percentage aswell as flight time. Even to the point where if you ignore it that it will return to where you took off and land without you doing a thing.

Timers & Alarms as a back-up, and going through the process of testing not such a bad thing is it? Perhaps redundant on 'some' platforms, but as i build my own from parts/kits, i don't use "proprietary" components as you describe, as much as it is 'possible' i could, i just don't at this point in time. Apologies for not being clearer. :8

Even the Mavic that Rob has consists of twin IMUs and twin compasses giving it some sort of redundancy if one system fails. In saying that though they do fail and that's why I try and tell people to practice flying it in manual mode.

Hence my comment regarding 'FAILSAFE'..especially for the un-initiated.

In regards to altitude. They are set to 120m by default and if you try and change it you will get a warning that you may be in breach.

Thanks for that, i hadn't checked the specs to know that, hence my 'disclaimer' at the end of the post.. :p

They are pretty sophisticated and to be honest you don't even need a controller these days. You can get it to do its thing with just a tablet. From taking off to landing to everything in between.

In saying all that though I agree that you gotta stay within the laws and keep this hobby alive for all of us.

No worries Boulders, we're on the same page in essence... i concede many are now FULL auto capable, and the 'reliance' on these are what i was hoping newbs to avoid.

Screens may be fine to use, but i personally prefer the hands-on a TX gives me. I prefer the disconnect and independent "brain/auto" function of using the Tx while 'looking' at the platform. ymmv. :D

Great training suggestion too btw. ;)

Cheers
Gypsy

I hear you when you say timers but the latest drone that I built with non smart batteries I have installed telemetry into the drone. I have set voltages per cell and it will sound an alarm on my transmitter when I go below the threshold of voltage.

Here is a video I put up of it on YouTube a year ago. I have had drone experts from USA asking me about my settings which I shared openly and accusing me of being secretive. Read the comments for a giggle.

I have yet to get around to finish tuning the Gimbal I built from scratch and mounting it. I custom made carbon fibre decks for it with a little cnc machine I have.

Have a look if your interested in custom stuff. It's a little boring cause there wasn't much editing but gives you an idea.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/vDUbDC7l5XE[/video]

Thanks Boulders...i will have to wait a week (low data - wireless) to watch...

I bow to your knowledge, i am only passing what i have picked up in my particular areas, and the 'safe flight' message...i do like the look of the DJI Inspire...(like the legs for easy packing, others can i know, just looks good to me).

I also have a leaning to the MultiWii platforms, with a preference for anything over 400mm as 'multi' -6 or 8 prop (redundancy), and own a bit of 'Beam' heli gear.

Tarot were also some of the first i looked at... at that time they only had the 600 & 900...

I'm still at the collecting/amassing bits to put together, but don't give the hobby nearly as much time as gold, shooting or my business..lol

A hangar full of projects for my retirement lmao....(then obsolete pmsl :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8.( )

Gypsy

Gypsy, thanks for the lecture. My post was intended to show that while the Mavic is a great little machine that can be readily used by a novice, there is a lot to learn and I plan to do so, although likely will not post regarding such on here. I was just posting some quick and simple learning's from the flights from a novice perspective.

The flights were all legal, regarding distance from people, animals, vehicles and buildings and with approval of the yacht club secretary, in fact requested by them. I have had several reads of CASA and associated drone use rues, etc, and will get on top of all the buttons and controls over time, I trust.

Rob P

Sorry Pablo, it was not my intent to "lecture" you, please accept my apologies that you took it that way.

I also apologise not allowing you the time to post that additional info., had i, my last post would have been redundant. ;) :)

Gypsy

Well as of 2 days ago I no longer own the DJI Mavi Pro. The ambient air temp out here is too much for it I think as I had a few times when it acted a bit erratically and on landing it was exceedingly hot to touch. Doesn't help matters that it is a dark grey colour. I also found that it was irresistable to birds around here, as soon as it was up the birds came from everywhere and started swooping on it. I guess they considered it a threat to them or something.

Anyway I decided to sell it now rather than in a few months time whilst I could still get almost all my money back on it. Think I will stick with normal DSLR camera photography, not so many rules and regs associated with that. :)

MAV...have you looked into portable camera masts to aid in getting those 'aerial' shots

Not quite the same, but impressive results can be had....and little in the way of "reg's."..

Something to consider, you could use the $$ from extra batteries, and repairs, you will no longer have instead. :D

Gypsy

GypsyGoldAu said:
MAV...have you looked into portable camera masts to aid in getting those 'aerial' shots

Not quite the same, but impressive results can be had....and little in the way of "reg's."..

Something to consider, you could use the $$ from extra batteries, and repairs, you will no longer have instead. :D

Gypsy

I haven't looked into the masts, might do in the future but I have to get my primary camera kit back to what it was before having to sell it all to fund renovations on our old house. $20K of equipment now gone so I need to start from scratch, this time I will go mirrorless for sure. :)

Latest posts