Orange region this week.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm heading out to Orange hopefully for 2 days/nights on Wednesday, will be staying in town
as it's way too cold for me to camp this time of year. Will be heading out to Ophir for a bit
of detecting and maybe a spot of panning, if pans arrive today. Will probably drive out to
Wellington for a go also depending on time and weather.

Just about to put the standard 11'' mono on, will take the 11''DD and 15x9'' mono, will start
with Wal's recommended settings of deep, fine gold, will fiddle with boosting RX gain and decreasing
stabilisation. Will go slow and steady, in no rush at all.

This is my first serious attempt for a nugget so here's hoping I can put some colour to this post
by the weekend. If not, no big deal, gold or no gold I'm sure to learn a thing or 3.

Heatho said:
I'm heading out to Orange hopefully for 2 days/nights on Wednesday, will be staying in town
as it's way too cold for me to camp this time of year. Will be heading out to Ophir for a bit
of detecting and maybe a spot of panning, if pans arrive today. Will probably drive out to
Wellington for a go also depending on time and weather.

Just about to put the standard 11'' mono on, will take the 11''DD and 15x9'' mono, will start
with Wal's recommended settings of deep, fine gold, will fiddle with boosting RX gain and decreasing
stabilisation. Will go slow and steady, in no rush at all.

This is my first serious attempt for a nugget so here's hoping I can put some colour to this post
by the weekend. If not, no big deal, gold or no gold I'm sure to learn a thing or 3.

G'day Heatho,

If you'r new to the machine I would start with a lower gain...11 to 13 untill you work out the soil conditions. If The mineralization is fairly low you can always screw it up a few notches. Keep your Motion to slow if you significantly up the gain...best of luck out there mate...Cheers Wal. :)

Thanks everyone, everything is packed, charged and ready to go. Sieves and pan arrived too.
Thanks for the tips on the gain settings Wal, much appreciated. Even the weather is looking
pretty good at the moment too.

No good today, dug about 15 .22 cal bullets, a half oz sinker, dunno what that was doing in the bush.
Also a small piece of steel that was under a big chunk of quartz. Really thought it was a nug, oh well.
Plus a few small bullet fragments, Ground was' nt very mineralised, cranked up the return gain. Very
confident in the GPX just didn't walk over any gold. Did a few pans too and not a speck. Anyway will
try elsewhere tomorrow. I'm exhausted, put in a good effort, will report in tomorrow night.

Hope the new day brings better Luck Heatho. If you swing that coil often enough, then you have got to swing it over a few nuggets soon...Best of luck...cheers wal. :)

Thanks Wal, will give it another real good go tomorrow. Gonna try a bit South of Orange
in the morning. I agree just got to keep swinging, will happen sooner or later.

Got some quite good nuggets from the Stuart Town area a few years ago...always worth a shot if your close to the area...Cheers Wal. :)

Got home this morning, had a detect yesterday around this weird open sort of pit near the town Cargo.
Probably not the best spot to try but nevermind, got a great feel for the 5000 over the 2 days.
So no gold still, but found a couple of cool greenish rocks with Pyrite and quartz inclusions in them,
will post pics in the minerals section as it would be good to get an I.D. on them , just for reference
sake.

At the Cargo pit/open cut hole thing there was Copper ore (I think) everywhere, big shunks of it
so it was geologically interesting. May have been an old copper/gold mine, anyway the ground
there is nothing but fractured rock with fragments of bulldozer blade everywhere, very hard with
with the pick to even get into.

Wish I tried Stuart Town Wal, may have been more productive. Anyway already planning the next
trip, probably down the South Coast, I have a mate living near Cambewarra Village. We'll have
a detect around the state forests and do a few pans or head down near Mogo for a go. Also my best mate
30km east of Cooma has about 100 acres with old diggings all over the river and at the base of the gullies
around his place. Has Quartz everywhere and shale and quartz veins protruding out of the ground slightly.

Anyway was a good trip, will do 4 days down the coast. Cooma may have to wait till spring, very
keen to check it out, can go there anytime my mate said. My car won't even get down his 2KM
driveway though. I see a 4x4 coming soon, heh.

G,day Heatho, Just think of how many bum trips to the first nugget ,,,You've nocked the first one over ,I hav'nt got My detector yet so Your ahead of me, Good luck in the future !!!!

Regards L/R

G'day Land Rover, yeah was tiring for no luck, but all good as I'm building up the detecting muscles. :D
You seem to use muscles in your back you never knew you had until you swing one of these, almost
as light as styrofoam when you first pick it up, after 5 or 6 hours it feels like a brick.

What sort of detector are you looking at?

Hey HeadsUp, private messaging is unlocked once you reach 10 posts.

Cheers,
Nugget

Latest posts